Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Daily Celebrity Dropping: Desperately Seeking Madonna and My Youth

A couple of nights ago I sat down with my girls and watched 'Desperately Seeking Susan.' For you kids out there, the film featured Madonna in her first starring role and was also probably the only movie that made me head straight out afterwards to buy a black corset and fifty rubber bracelets. That is if you don't count that documentary I saw on J Edgar Hoover.

As soon as Madonna appeared on the screen Kira said, "Omigod, she looks just like Lady Gaga," and I had to correct her that no, Lady Gaga looks just like Madonna. Kira is a huge Gaga fan so I didn't want to burst her bubble too badly, but in my best motherly voice I had to point out that without Madonna there might not be a Lady Gaga. Of course, there also wouldn't be that box in my closet full of barely-worn corsets, rubber bracelets, lace anklets and fingerless gloves, either, but no need to let the girls know where all of their college money went.

The movie featured one of my favorite dance songs ever, 'Get Into The Groove,' and of course I couldn't help saying in the middle of the movie, "They just don't write 'em like this anymore." Remember how fun it was to watch movies with your parents when they said things like that? After I said it I hiked up my elastic-waisted pants and broke out this video:



Neither Kira or Kiyomi rushed out to download the song on iTunes, but they did both love the movie. Next on our list: The Breakfast Club. I can't wait to bring out my collection of shoulder pads.

Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Loved this movie. Thanks so much for bringing home some nostalgia, which I am always desperately seeking an excuse to nurture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was a time I could recite almost every line to Breakfast Club.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're going to watch Breakfast Club soon. We watched Some Kind of Wonderful last week and it was great.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails